Sunday, February 22, 2009

Final Reflection of Memoir

"Joanna of Kurdistan: The True story of a Freedom Fighter's Escape from Iraqi Vengeance: Love in a Torn Land" is the best memoir that I have read. This memoir has all of the qualities that I like and enjoy in books: drama, romance, and suspense. "...Love in a Torn Land" is written by Jean Sasson, but a memoir on Joanna al-Askari. Even though this is not Sasson's memoir, she makes this memoir her own and very personal as if she, herself, is Joanna. This memoir is rich in details, easy to understand and imagine, has effective figurative devices, such as similes, imagery, metaphors, and foreshadowing, and overall, meaningful and amazing. I am very glad that I chose this memoir to read for this assignment.
"...Love in a Torn Land" is about survival, romance, hope, family, and fight for freedom. Sasson begins this memoir when Joanna is ten years old and ends when Joanna is twenty-seven years old. This three hundred and fifteen page memoir covers seventeen years of Joanna al-Askari's most tragic and memorable events of her life. From when Joanna and her family were robbed and attacked in Iraq to when she and her family were free from torture in England. From a life as a Peshmerga to a life as a normal being. From having a miscarriage to having a healthy and normal newborn baby. From the most traumatizing events to the most blissful events.
When I began this memoir, I knew nothing about Joanna al-Askari. After reading and empathizing with what Joanna went through in this three hundred and fifteen page memoir, I have learned many things about her. Some of the many things that I have learned about Joanna is that she is beautiful, has determination, is risky, loyal, loving, and is scared and snakes and scorpions. Although I have never met Joanna, and most likely will never meet her, I feel as if I have known her for ages. Through Sassons amazing and talented writing skills, I have enjoyed reading Joanna's memoir. I would recommend this memoir to every one of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment